Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Follow up: Responding to Xinke Liu's Post

Ellen DuBois's article is an accurate depiction of the two waves of feminism. I like how she points out that women joined these civil rights and peace movement groups because they thought that they wanted to reconstruct society; including getting rights that women deserved. The New Left wanted equal rights for all, yet women were not included in this. That seems a little messed up. They have countless women in their group, yet their not helping them obtain the rights that women were denied for so many years. When DuBois brings up the fact that women decreased their involvement in Feminism during the war i was very surprised. If it were me I'd be like "Good luck, I'm not going to fight for a country that doesn't support me." I would just not help and keep going on with my feminism duties. Women were naive to believe that their help in the war would be later rewarded. Men just thought it was their duty to help them. Another surprising fact is how the 14th amendment doesn't include sex. To this day there is no amendment in the constitution for us. That amazing to me that we could have a women almost run for president yet we weren't included the ERA.

The Declaration of Sentiments was definitely a good move by Elizabeth Stanton and Lucretia Mott. I'm glad that they were motivated enough to put this out. Some of the stuff is a little over the top because it's not like white women were slaves; they didn't have to work in the fields all day or be whipped on a regular basis. White women really just want the right to work and keep the money they earn, etc. Which is a big thing so I understand them writing this Declaration.

Black women and white women clearly have two different goals. Sojourner Truth explains how white women are treated as delicate creatures that need to be helped over puddles while black women work in the field and do as much men and are whipped like men. Black women want to be treated how white women are. Which if I was living their life I would envy the rich white women. Today I think black and white women have less of a divide and more of a common goal of equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment