Thursday, September 2, 2010

Follow up: Responding to Drew Forster's post

I thought sexism was over, I thought feminists have so much to talk about simply because they are uber-sensitive, and I thought there was nothing wrong about all the women try to perfect our bodies to be more sexier. But why? Why I held these stupid opinions?

After reading 'Fantasies of Power', I realized that it was the media that I read, listened to, and watched everyday that influenced my opinion towards women.

Sexism still exists but under a more disguised appearance as Douglas put it enlightened sexism. In Asia, there is a group of office ladies being labelled sticky-note girls. They perform all the basic work in the workplace, buying coffee, copying documents, and even cleaning other's desks. But no one considers this as sexism and there is even a popular soap opera describing a sticky-note girl gains love from a handsome millionaire. (Sorry, I didn't find any link about this opera in english.)

And according to millions of women on diet, I just considered this as women's nature that we will die for beauty. And women with great power would impress me only when they also have great taste in fashion. But now I come to realize that we do so because we self-objectify ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment