Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Main post for 11/18/2010

Live Under Intimidation



As a girl I just realized that I grow up while always under the fear of something. A friend of mine cycled to another city which is hundreds of kilometers away. When he came back and told us his adventure, I was completely fascinated with his journey and wanted to join his another journey to Shanghai. However, I even did not bother to mention a word to my parents because I knew for sure that they would not approve it since they are always in fear of something. My parents never allow me to travel alone though they have taught me that girls can do anything. Whenever I want to stay late outside home, my parents would be unhappy and charge me of being ungirlish and ill-bred but I understand what are they actually in fear of. This fear keeps me away from acting freely. I always need to be home before it is too late, I should always wait for some friends to take a journey together, and I can hardly enjoy party because I need to be cautious with the environment around and I cannot continue to drink the beverage which has been away from me for some time. I also read that during the War against Japan, many women suicided or killed by their husbands or fathers in fear that they may be raped by Japanese soldiers. This is kind of fear that is so powerful that has effect on most women. As Susan Brownmiller states in her book :“(Rape) is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear” (Susan Brownmiller).


While rape generates anxiety on women for centuries, I found it rather frustrated that it is largely downplayed in psychology and Freudian-oriented criminology. In Against Our Will, Susan Brownmiller points out that since morality does not play in medical work, Freudian criminologists tend to define rapists also as victims but as victims psychological diseases. However, rapists do not necessarily be oppressed by their wives or extraordinary, they can also be in the mold of typical youthful offenders.


And women of color suffer even more from violence against women. As stated in Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence Against Women of Color by Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw that minority women, for example immigrant women, tend not to report the violence against them and hide their sufferings for the honor of family. And the helping system rarely reach these women.


I want to live in a society in which women are free of fear and in which I dare to play cards with men in party.

No comments:

Post a Comment