Wednesday, October 6, 2010

response to main post 10-6

Adrienne Rich’s article, “Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence” is aimed at eliminating the notion that anything that is not heterosexual love is abnormal. The male dominated system we live in creates this feeling that women need men to be happy and cannot live with out them. And the only reason why women would seek out another woman is because she is bitter towards men. That totally makes the decision about men when in fact it might not have to do with men at all. Who is to say what is natural? Some women are naturally attracted to other females. No one has the right to judge someone based on his or her sexual preferences. What they do in the privacy of their bedroom is up to them and has nothing to do other people.
Laurel Gilbert’s article was a really interesting story. I feel like this woman is a really strong person. The things she was able to accomplish I think is really impressive. Being able to go through high school and college with a kid is no easy thing and she makes it sound easy. Good thing she did not listen to her guidance counselor or else would have not met her full potential. I feel bad that she felt that she couldn’t be the girl Kris because of society, but I’m also happy that she disregards society now and has a lover of her choice. I think a good lesson from this is that becoming pregnant doesn’t make you handicap, it just makes things a little bit more complicated. Teachers need to act like Laurel’s drama teacher and encourage girls to not use teen pregnancy as an excuse for not reaching your full potential.
Abra Fortune Chernik’s article was really disturbing to me. I really just felt so bad for this young girl so obsessed with her weight. I find it hard to understand her situation because I could just never do the things she does. It really makes me wonder how someone can get like that. Did society really make her that way and if so how? Because I feel like we grew up in the same society, why did she choose to starve herself? I’m happy she got better and I’m glad she doesn’t support anything that supports anorexic living.
Leila J Rupp’s Article was an interesting read for me. She puts things into a different viewpoint, which is good. She looks at same sex sexuality from a global view and points out how it differs in different places and times. American’s would never things that same sex sexuality refers to age or class. I wonder how American society configured this outlook on how that same sexuality is same sex organs together? She gave numerous examples of people of the same sex acting in sexual ways but back then it wasn’t seen as sexual. I don’t know how to look at that because how I see it, is that those to people are gay or lesbian.

No comments:

Post a Comment